Careful and Compassionate Blogs About the Law: A Legal Blog

Migration Agents | 4 Criteria Necessary For Skilled Independent Migration

The Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) is an Australian permanent residency visa. The visa is available for skilled workers who acquire the minimum requisite points for working and living in the country without being sponsored by a family member, employer, state or territory. Whether you work with professional migration agents or on your own, this guide is designed to help you understand the criteria necessary for skilled independent migration.

Nominated Occupation On The Skilled Occupation List

In order to be eligible for the skilled independent visa, your nominated occupation should be available on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The Australian Education and Training Department offers advice to the immigration ministry on occupations to be included in the SOL. These occupations are expected to benefit the growth of the Australian economy in the short to long term. 

Skilled Visa Points Eligibility

To be eligible for a permanent residency skilled independent visa, you must meet the minimum criteria for 60 points, provided your nominated occupation is available in the SOL. The skilled points test considers factors like age, occupation, English language, educational qualifications, professional work and study in Australia. Your migration agents should be able to help you with your overall points score, so that you can determine your eligibility under the skilled independent visa category. If you do not meet the points criteria, you may be able to get a state sponsored visa under the Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190) category.

Skills Assessment

Once you are eligible for both the list of nominated occupations in the SOL and you meet the minimum points requirement, you will need to submit your documents to the relevant Australian skills assessment authority. The SOL stipulates a comprehensive list of appropriate assessing authorities for every occupation. The assessing authority will inspect all your educational qualifications and work documents to determine whether you are suited to your nominated occupation. You can either contact the assessing authority on your own or you can go through professional migration agents to obtain a skills assessment. Keep in mind that every assessing authority follows its own time lines, methods and costs. Once your assessing authority comes back with their results, you can submit your Expression of Interest through SkillSelect, an online service for managing skilled migration to Australia.

Submitting Your Expression Of Interest

The expression of interest (EOI) essentially displays your interest in the skilled independent visa application for living and working in Australia. This online form, available in SkillSelect, requests for information about your visa, work and skills. The expression of interest must include your visa subclass details. Once your EOI is accepted, you will be invited to apply for your visa.

This list helps you establish the necessary details you need when applying for a skilled independent visa on your own or through migration agents.

About Me

Careful and Compassionate Blogs About the Law: A Legal Blog

Welcome to my blog. My name is Gina, and I used to work as a paralegal. That experience was amazing, and I got a great behind the scenes look at the law. In this blog, I am going to take that information and write carefully researched blogs that take a compassionate look at the various aspects of the law. I may write about everything, from personal injury, to divorce, to other types of cases. After leaving the legal world, I worked as a corporate writer for a large insurance company until my first son was born. Now, five years later, I am ready to get back in the work force, and I am working on creating a larger writing portfolio. I hope to include this blog as part of it, but more importantly, I hope these posts answer your questions about legal issues.